Working on do-it-yourself projects around the house is fun and rewarding. Some home improvement projects will increase your home’s value, too. The next time you want to improve your home, choose a project that will make it worth more.
1. Paint the Exterior to Increase Your Home’s Value
Painting increases your home’s value and improves its curb appeal. Keeping the paint on your home looking fresh and new can be a time-consuming process. A great way to stay on top of this task is to create a painting schedule.
Plan on painting your home’s exterior every five to 10 years, depending on your climate. The frequency of the interior painting depends on each room’s wear-and-tear. Spacing out painting projects will give you more time to choose colors and decide on the details that are important to you.
2. Adding a Backyard Deck
If you having any experience with carpentry, deck installation may be a DIY project. You have a wide variety of options for decking materials. Check out some online tutorials or hire a professional to complete the project. A backyard deck increases your home’s value and adds to your outdoor living spaces. You’ll enjoy spending time there when the weather is nice.
3. Take a Look at the Flooring in Your Home
The floors in your home take a lot of abuse over time. Old, worn out floors aren’t doing anything for the value of your home. Here are some ideas for flooring home improvement projects that will increase your home’s value.
- Refinish wood floors. It’s a simple process that makes them look as good as new.
- Install either hardwood or faux-wood flooring. It’s a classic look that will add value to your home.
- Upgrade to ceramic tile, marble, or slate in kitchens, bathrooms, and entryways. These types of flooring materials are durable and attractive.
4. Increase Value by Replacing Your Light Fixtures
Replacing outdated light fixtures can be a simple DIY project. It’s one of those affordable home improvement projects that will increase your home’s value and give your interior living space a whole new look.
5. Make Your Landscaping Pop
Home improvement projects to increase your home’s value can also be completed outside. Plan more landscaping projects that will both make your home more appealing and add value, like adding perennial gardens, mulch, and cultivating a healthier lawn.
6. Install New Appliances to Increase Your Home’s Value
Updated energy-efficient home appliances not only add value to your home, but they’ll also help you save money on utilities. Technology is always improving, so newer appliances use less water and electricity than appliances more than a few years old.
7. Give Your Bathrooms an Upgrade
While you may need some professional assistance with the plumbing aspects, there are home improvement projects in the bathroom that will increase your home’s value.
- Ceramic tiles on the walls are a stylish upgrade.
- Toilets, sinks, and vanities can easily be updated.
- Big mirrors create the illusion of more space.