The exterior is the first thing that prospective buyers notice when they see your home. Cosmetic flaws with your home or lawn make buyers think the rest of the home is not well-cared for. Here are five things to consider if you are listing your property for sale and would like to improve the curb appeal of your home.
1. The Condition of the Exterior Paint
Is your home’s paint peeling or faded? Are there stained or discolored areas? A fresh paint job is a relatively inexpensive way to improve the curb appeal of your home.
2. Update Your Lawn to Improve the Curb Appeal of Your Home
A tidy, well-kept yard is an attractive feature to potential homebuyers. A nice lawn shows pride in ownership. Buyers prefer properties that have been well taken care of and look nice. Here are a few things to focus on in the yard.
- Vibrant, green grass makes your lawn look healthy.
- Reseed or lay sod if there are bare areas with no grass.
- Consider planting a colorful flower-bed.
- Trees should look neat and trimmed with no branches hanging over the roof or up against the siding.
- Add potted plants to the patio for a burst of color.
3. Look at the Roof
Your roof is one of the first things a potential buyer will notice. To improve the curb appeal of your home, make sure that the roof is free of debris. Replace any missing shingles, which could raise a red flag. This is also a good time to check out the condition of your gutters. Clean and re-paint or replace them if they look dingy or dirty.
4. Improve the Curb Appeal of Your Home with Attractive Sidewalks and Driveway
Every interested buyer will walk down your driveway and sidewalk when viewing your home, so they should look clean and new. Repair cracks and pressure wash your sidewalk and driveway. Accentuate walkways and driveways by edging with plants, mulch, or rocks to improve the curb appeal.
5. Consider the Details
- Clean windows are important.
- Trim any shrubbery or trees around the windows and doors.
- Clean up exterior light fixtures.
- Make sure your mailbox is sturdy and straight.
One of the best ways to help your property sell faster is to improve the curb appeal of your home. Making your home more attractive on the outside leaves a good first impression.
HomeSpec Inspection & Renovation Consultants provides home inspection services, including pre-listing inspections, to North Mississippi and the surrounding areas. Contact us to schedule an appointment.